Roblox is a giant in the gaming world that somehow continues to exist 17 years after its launch. The oldest platform for the game is Windows, but even now sometimes things can break, including the fundamentally important voice chat function. If voice chat is not working on the Windows version of Roblox, there are many possible fixes you can try.
How to Fix Roblox Voice Chat Not Working on Windows
Because there are several potential options here, we can’t predict exactly what will solve your problems. Instead, we suggest going through the steps below one by one until you find something that works—it’s unlikely that Roblox will ever break bad enough that you’ll have to wait for an official patch.
- Disconnect and reconnect the audio input. If you’re using wired headphones as a microphone input, the connection may be broken, especially if the microphone itself is detachable. For Bluetooth or other wireless inputs, see Settings > Bluetooth & Devices in Windows 11. Your input may not be paired, and even if it is, reconnecting it won’t hurt. You can also try turning Bluetooth off and on again.
- Check your Windows sound settings. In the Windows 11 taskbar (far right corner of the taskbar), right-click the speaker icon and select Sound settings. Under Entrance, make sure the correct microphone is selected and the volume is set to high. Often the microphone volume must be higher than normal audio volume to be heard clearly. If you don’t see any input sources at all, this probably means you need to check your device’s connections (see above).
- Microphone input test. On the Windows 11 taskbar, right-click the icon speaker icon and choose Sound settings. Under Entranceclick on the selected source, then Check your microphone under Input settings. Say a few words before you click Stop test. If the sound that comes back is weak or missing, increase the input volume and try again. If you still can’t hear anything, it could indicate a bad connection, the microphone is too far from your mouth, or even physical damage.
- Quit other Windows applications that may be using the microphone input. If you have voice chat running in another application, such as Discord, this may cause conflicts.
- Make sure that voice chat is actually enabled in Roblox. This feature only works for players who are over 13 years old. You will have to verify your age if you have not already done so. Once this is done, you can check if voice is enabled by going to the Roblox website and clicking on the icon gear icon. Next click Settings followed by Confidentiality. Enable voice chat the switch must be turned on.
- Make sure that the Roblox game you are playing actually supports voice chat. Few impressions support the voice, which is probably a good thing considering how distracting it can be, not to mention the potential for bigotry and intimidation from some players. The description of the experience must indicate whether voice communication is supported.
- Check your game audio settings. Launch the version that you know supports voice, then move on to Discover > Settings. You’ll need the right Input device selected – this should usually match what you see in Windows Settings (see previous steps).
- Make sure the people you want to hear from have not changed. If you usually chat with certain friends, they may be muted. In the game, go to Discover > People and find the person who is bothering you. If there is a red cross next to them speaker iconclick this icon to unmute them.
- Double check if your character is muted. In Roblox, look over your character’s head to see if there is microphone icon with a line through it. In this case, you will have to click the icon before you can say anything.
- Restart the game and/or computer. Sometimes glitches are temporary, in which case restarting Roblox and/or rebooting your computer may fix them.
- Try a different version of the Roblox app. You can access the game through a dedicated launcher or the Microsoft Store app. If nothing has worked so far, you can try downloading and running a version you don’t usually play. Your account information should be transferred.