Woman nearly dies from ‘flesh-eating’ bacteria: her thumb was amputated

ROLEY, North Carolina. – Tammy Russ never thought that A wound on the thumb can take his life.

The woman from Sanford explained this about a month ago. he cut his thumb while removing the burr and has been in pain ever since.

He noted that he felt so weak that he could not stand up, so his family decided Get her to a Central Carolina hospital.

Doctors examined her and determined that she had a bad it was caused by a carnivorous bacterium.

they had to amputate thumb and spent five days in intensive care, but today she is alive and well.

Tammy is recovering at home. His family thanked the staff at Carolina Central Hospital in Sanford for their life-saving care.

What infection is caused by carnivorous bacteria?

The main cause of infection with carnivorous bacteria, also known as Necrotizing fasciitisHe group A streptococcuswhich is the organism that causes diseases such as pharyngitis.

Streptococcus spreads quickly because it produces toxins that break down the skin, and that’s part of the problem when it comes to flesh-eating bacteria.

The organism lives in warm sea waters, And for some people with problems that compromise the immune system, they may end up being hit by a more serious infection.

According to the CDC, bacteria living in water, including those from the genus Vibrio vulnificusthey can also cause necrotizing fasciitis.

Another thing is that necrotizing fasciitis is rarely contagious, and according to the CDC, most cases occur by accident.

Expert advice on how to keep yourself safe in the summer

  • If you have an open wound, avoid bodies of water.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water after any activity.
  • If you get a cut or minor injury while outdoors, clean the cut immediately with soap and water.
  • Try to keep your skin healthy.
  • Necrotizing fasciitis can also occur with blunt skin trauma (contusion or blunt trauma).
  • If you have kidney disease or diabetes, be especially careful when diving in water, especially if you have open wounds.
  • If you have redness or irritation on your skin that feels hot, discolored, spreads and forms pimples, see your doctor, the sooner you take care of it, the less the infection will spread, concludes Dr. Rose.
  • This infection is treated with antibiotics and should be operated on as soon as possible, according to the CDC.

This may interest you

8 P8xDpbmYGQCHvIPQiGsMVkKhLVoRED4AgBAPdtsFCRA1F0KIqGRjIRmt5K3w”>Tracy Stasic Fleming


Lynn Fleming, 77, was enjoying a dip in the water when her foot fell into a sand hole. When he got out, he had a small cut on his leg.

Credit: Tracey Stasicha Fleming


“Within two to six hours, it can go from a small cut to a completely black leg,” Stasicha Fleming, the victim’s sister-in-law, told local media.

Credit: Tracey Stasicha Fleming


Fleming’s family took her to the doctor, where she was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis. The woman had three surgeries because bacteria had eaten her entire leg.

Credit: Tracey Stasicha Fleming

Click here to continue browsing the gallery


Despite antibiotics and surgery, Lynn passed away this Thursday, June 27th. His relatives wanted to share his story to warn people about the dangers of this bacterium.

Credit: Tracey Stasicha Fleming


Lynn unknowingly spent the last days of her life on Shell Beach, located in Bradenton Beach, in Manatee County, Florida.

Credit: Google map


This week, a 12-year-old girl also fell victim to “flesh-eating” bacteria in Florida. Kylie Brown isn’t dead, but she can’t walk after bacteria started eating her leg.

Click here to continue browsing the gallery


The girl’s mother hopes that after several surgeries and months of therapy, Kyle will be able to properly move his lower limbs.


“I told my mom several times that I just want to get back to normal with my leg,” Kylie said.


The place where Kylie Brown contracted the bacteria was in Destin, a beach in Okaloosa County, located on the east coast of Florida.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button