MMany people will wonder what why there are times when the left side of the head or the brain hurts, and in this article you will find meaning in this type of pain that is very common. Sometimes the pain comes on suddenly or slowly, it can be a sharper or more stabbing painaccording to people.
Perhaps it can be transferred to other parts near the head, such as neck or eyes. But if the pain is accompanied by other more serious symptoms such as vomiting, fever, or mental confusion, it is best to see a doctor for care.
Causes of pain
The possible causes of this type of pain range from a somewhat inappropriate lifestyle to a possible brain tumor:
– Lifestyle: It is the most common cause, because it ranges from the bad consumption we make of food or substances, to unhealthy habits. Within this cause there are several factors:
- Skipping meals, because the brain needs the glucose it takes in from food to function properly.
- Stress causes the muscles in the brain to tense up.
- Not sleeping enough hours.
- Eating foods (red wine, nuts, or aged cheese) that have preservatives.
- There are alcoholic beverages that contain ethanol and this substance causes blood vessels to dilate.
- Very tight hairstyles or helmets and hats.
– Medicines: There are analgesics that can cause the so-called “rebound effect”, that is, they increase the pain of the symptom that is to be eliminated. Some of the drugs that can produce this effect are: Ibuprofen, aspirin, paracetamol and naproxen.
– Infections and allergies: We are about to catch a cold or fluand as a consequence of these diseases makes sinus passages become blocked and this may trigger a headache. Allergies also cause sinus congestion and lead to a left-sided headache.
– Neurological problems: The main origins are the following:
- Temporal arteritis: It is the inflammation of the blood vessels on both sides of the head.
- Occipital neuralgia: Irritation of the nerves in the upper neck and base of the skull can cause pain on the left side of the head.
- Trigeminal neuralgia: The pain begins to be felt in the face, but can also go to the left side of the head.
More Serious Causes of Left Side Head Pain
- Elevated blood pressure.
- Traumatic brain injury as a result of a blow.
- Pain in the eyes that spreads to the head.
- Bleeding within the brain or from a clot that blocks blood flow to that area.
- Brain tumor.
Treatments to relieve pain
First of all, is that If the pain is very intense, go immediately to a hospital. But if the pain is more acute what the experts order is Take a warm bath, breathe and try to relax. Taking a nap as well as eating something light is also good. Just like listening to soft music and relaxingand of course, take an over-the-counter pain reliever.