Websites like Movie4k offer the latest films, but their use is not legal. Since a ruling by the ECJ on video platforms, there is no longer a gray area for users. Find out what you need to know in this article.
Movie4k and Co – no legal streaming portals
Streaming videos on websites like Movie4k was still a legal gray area until 2017.
- Because the video did not have to be downloaded for pure viewing, but could only be temporarily stored on the PC.
- The European Court of Justice put an end to this gray area with a ruling in April 2017.
- The streaming of copyrighted material via portals such as Movie4k, Kinox.to or similar has since then been illegal.
- However, if you watch a copyrighted work such as a film or live football broadcast, you can be fined. Per stream there is then a warning fee of 150 euros plus the conventional streaming price of around five euros.
- The judgment of the ECJ had consequences for the owners of Movie4K. At the end of 2019 it was announced that the owners had been arrested. The website has since been blocked.
(Tip originally written by: Nico Saborowski)