Yesterday’s update introduced changes to building in Fortnite. Epic Games decided to explain why this decision.
Yesterday Fortnite experienced a real storm due to a change in the building. Developers changed the build time from 0.05 s to 0.15 s. Today they decided to explain it.
Changes in building
We drop in to provide a wider context for changes introduced to turbocharging.
What has changed in Update 10.20?
We have restored the time for constructing more structures in turbo building from 0.05 s to 0.15 s in 10.20. This value has been used in the past for update 4.30.
Why change turbocharging?
This is the first step to correcting several problems:
- Fast turbo-building provides a disproportionate advantage to players with low ping.
- Taking walls (so-called taking walls – trying to erect the wall before the opponent does it)
- Defensive game (so-called turtling – the continuous rebuilding of the destroyed wall)
- A defensive game (turtling) gives the defender a disproportionate advantage
- For example, it is enough for the defender to hold the mouse button while the whole team shoots 1 × 1 of his building
- Accuracy of placing building elements
- It’s easy to accidentally put several parts “at once”
- Build spamming
- It’s easy to spam build
- We want the building to be done in a more thoughtful way
What we don’t want to change strongly:
- Feels of reaction time when building
- The possibilities of building the so-called ninety (the 90s)
- Quick height advantage thanks to building on the basis of the size of one field
- Possibility of building a waterfall (so-called “waterfall”)
- Building walls falling down to avoid falling from a great height